Touratech rides the new GS

Dailies, Galleries -

By

Touratech-R1200GS

“It feels a lot lighter, even though it’s the same weight as its predecessor,” describes Touratech CEO Herbert Schwarz. He just took the 2013 BMW R1200GS on a 1,500-mile trip around Madagascar, testing new parts and familiarizing himself with the company’s most important model. “I think with the exception of the small fuel tank, it’s really a good adventure bike. It has all the genes from the previous GS model plus the new 125hp engine and new suspension.”

For the trip, Herbert outfitted the bike with new crash bars, hand guards, expedition skid plate, stainless steel headlight guard, radiator guard and a Zega Pro pannier system.

  • http://www.facebook.com/jay.meyer.336 Jay Meyer

    Would have been nice to see more of Madagascar, but I guess that wasn’t really the point of this video. I have been living here for almost 3 years and it is an amazing place to ride. Crazy, no rules, lane splitting in city traffic, but also awesome unexplored dirt tracks and zebu cart roads that crisscross the whole country. My bike has slightly less tech: 1996 DR350!

    • AHA

      Sounds like you’re a real rider in a real adventure biking location and you ride a real adventure bike. ( And not a GS.) I take my hat off to you sir. Have fun & safe riding. I envy you!

  • Khali

    The moment when the led headlight is lit and then the fog lights…woah

  • uberbox

    Maybe I’m feeling cynical (or jealous I can’t afford a $20K bike) but the whole GS thing is really annoying. These bikes are like the lifted , brand new Jeeps I see around town with winches, light bars, 32″ tires, etc., etc., and not a spec of dirt or a scratch. BMW has done an incredible job of capitalizing on the the “world adventurer” fantasy of wealthy 45-65 year olds much like Harley has targeted the same demographic that loves to posture as bad-asses.

    • Charlie

      So, you’re saying that BMW, a for-profit company has done an excellent job of marketing a high margin vehicle to the only real demographic in the US that buys bikes.

      That’s a bad thing?

    • KevinB

      I don’t think GS riders are worse than any other genre and certainly not on the same level as HD folks. Sure, there’s the starbucks contingent, but most of the GS owners I’ve met put on a ton of miles and enjoy their bikes. Are they supposed to leave them dirty or only ride them while completing the TAT? Are people with fast cars or big jeeps only allowed to drive them at the track or on the trail?

      Even if you’re only able to really exercise it a few times a year, because as you mentioned, most people have a limited amount of discretionary timeincome, if you enjoy those times that you do get to go play, it’s worth having the capability. 80% of the miles I ride are commuting to work, but I’m not going to buy a Honda NCX because the time I really enjoy riding is the other 20% I spend in the mountains and on the track. Besides, having that capability makes commuting more fun, just as I’m sure it makes the GS a great way to get to starbucks.