Charging into the Future - OSET Releases the 24.0 Electric Dirtbike
First shown as a concept at the UK Dirt Bike Show three years ago, the OSET 24.0 trials/playbike/trainer/pitbike or what-have you is now in production. OSET currently offers a four-model range, catering to riders from 2-12 and beyond seniority.
The 24.0 rolls on 19-inch motorcycle rims with trials tires front and rear, large enough for teenagers and adults up to 90kg (198lbs). The 20ah high output lithium battery offers increased power and run time, while reducing weight. The motor is a new 1400w OSET unit with hardened sprockets, and heavy duty chain. The controller is a high power unit and features fully adjustable power, speed, and throttle response to suit the rider.
The front fork is an adjustable RST unit,calibrated with a new DNM rear shock. Avid hydraulic brakes with a 180mm discs front and rear ensure powerful, progressive braking. Also, the new magnetic lanyard adds a level of safety and is competition legal. The 24.0R model has spent a lot of time in the hands of Oliver Smith, Chris Northover and Jack Field – all very familiar riders with tens of millions of YouTube views between them. These are very advanced riders pulling some big moves! At the same time, the adjustability give the 24 the flexibility for beginners taking their first steps into the world of motorcycles.
The lithium battery pack is a 48v, 20 amp/hour unit with increased range and power. “It’s taken several years of development and testing to arrive at this stage,” Ian Smith said. ‘To manufacture lithium batteries correctly is a long process, requiring careful selection of materials, cells to be used, structure, and with ease of use and reliability of utmost importance.”
The OSET lithium battery pack comes with an inbuilt battery management system to prevent over charging, over discharging and a number of key performance parameters. Lightweight and simple to charge, users can simply plug it in and let the charger do the rest. Financially, lithium batteries are by far the biggest single component cost in the bikes. Ian describes it as: “It’s like buying a bike with years’ worth of free fuel.”
• Wheelbase – 1215 mm (47.8’’)
• Seat Height – 670 mm (26.4’’)
• Ground Clearance – 315 mm (12.4’’)
• Handlebar Height – 1090 mm (42.9’’)
• Wheels – 19’’ x 1.4’’ Alloy rims/hubs
• Suspension – Front telescopic spring fork, Compression adjustment oil damping. Rear shock, preload compression adjustment, oil damping.
• Brakes – Front 180 mm rear 180 mm hydraulic disc
• Motor – 1400 W 48 V OSET neodymium magnet DC motor
• Controller – 48 V OSET with thermal cut-out, adjustable for power, speed response
• Batteries – 1 x OSET 20 Ah, 48 V Lithium battery, with charging, discharging diagnostic ports
• Charger – 3 amp 48 V, Lithium Ion
• Rider Weight Limit – 198 lbs (90.0kg)
Oset USA is based in Montrose, Colorado. Fore more information visit www.osetbikes.com